Friday, October 29, 2010

Fall questions and answers

Some questionnaire I read on a blog, and I thought it had some fun ideas, since I’m not quite sure what else to blog about right now!

1. I have been looking for some simple but interesting Halloween crafts/decorations, what is your favourite one to do with your children? please include a link if you have one.
I haven’t been too great about doing crafts lately, since it seems like we have so little time left over after life is finished.  But I plan on remedying that!  I do love Family Fun for their craft ideas.  They actually turn out like the pictures, and kids can really do them, unlike so many other “kid” crafts.  Here are some we plan on doing to get ready for Thanksgiving:

(but for fall, not for Canada)

 

 

2. What is your favorite way to spend a rainy day with your children?
Without my kids, it’s easy—in bed with a book.  Or in a hot bath with a book.  Or curled on the couch with a book.  With kids—cuddling and watching a movie.  I’m also trying to embrace the seasons, so I think we’d also be sipping hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows.  But not on the couch.  That’s a recipe for disaster.

3. What is your favourite fall food? 
Hot soups.  I LOVE a good tomato soup (I suggest this recipe for anyone looking for one!) with fresh crusty bread.  The best tomato soup I’ve ever had was in a little cafe by Windsor Castle.  It was SOOOO delicious. 

Side note: Isn’t it funny how sometimes a place can be defined completely by the food you ate there?  At Windsor, it was the tomato soup.  In Boston, I ate the most amazing pastrami sandwich in the world.  It still makes my mouth water thinking about it.  Savannah had the best fudge I’ve tasted.  At Staten Island, I ate the WORST steak sandwich I’ve ever had in my life.  Apparently food means a lot to me.

And I love pumpkin everything.  These Pumpkin Apple Struesel muffins are amazing!

4. What is your current favourite read aloud book?
We finished Matilda not too long ago.  Reading Roald Dahl out loud is a blast.  Some of the words are just so much more hilarious when you hear them spoken.

5. What is your favourite novel? 
That’s like asking me to choose a favorite child.  Not a fair question.  But I’ll throw out a series for you: I love the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.  I’ve read them twice (all 12 volumes!) and I could read them again.  My advice: if you get bogged down in the middle books (particularly 8 and 9) just read the synopsis online and go to 10.  Don’t give up!  Book 13 is being released this week for the very few of you that care (Ashley!).  I may have to preorder it.  I’m lame like that.

6. What book from your childhood do you remember the most, and why?
Anne of Green Gables.  I have no idea how many times I’ve read that book.  I want to be Anne and live at the turn of the century and wear puffed sleeves and write on a slate and bake cakes for company and wander forever in the woods and memorize The Lady of Shalott.  I usually go on to finish the series (at least through Anne’s House of Dreams) because every girl loves a good love story.

7. What type of music do you enjoy the most?  Please include examples!
I love musicals, especially when I can belt them out.  Wicked is one of my favorites.  It’s just so singable.  Little secret: I’m also a huge ABBA fan.  Betcha didn’t know that!

8. What subject do you find most challenging (to teach or to learn)?
I never had a problem with math until calculus.  There I met my Waterloo.

9. What is your favorite hot drink?  Bonus points for including the recipe!
As mentioned above, hot chocolate with cream and marshmallows.  I love nearly all the Stephen’s varieties, but the Mexican hot chocolate is my favorite. 

1 comments:

Ms. Ashley Barnes said...

The 13th book is coming out this week!! Oh my gosh, that's so exciting. And yes, I do realize how incredibly nerdy that is.