Friday, March 19, 2010

Finally a decent cornbread recipe

I’m extremely picky about cornbread.  I don’t like it if it’s too dry and crumbly, but I don’t want it too soggy either.  And it has to have the right sort of flavor.  I’ve tried lots of cornbread recipes over the years, and I haven’t been in love with any of them.  Even Pioneer Woman struck out on this one.  But I finally found a decent recipe on My Kitchen Cafe, and I feel the need to share it with everyone.  I made a slight change to the original recipe—bake it in a cast iron skillet.  The edges and bottom turn nice and brown and crisp, and everything cooks very evenly.  The kids’ favorite part was the honey butter whip.  I think they would have eaten it by itself if I would have let them.

My Go-To Cornbread
½ cup cornmeal
1 ½ cup flour
2/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oil
3 tablespoons butter, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 ¼ cup milk

Add dry ingredients, make a well and add oil, butter, eggs, and milk into the center. Stir until just mixed (batter will be runny – don’t be alarmed!). Bake in an 8” square pan (or a cast iron skillet if you have one) at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. This doubles perfectly for a 9X13-inch pan.

Honey Butter:
2 sticks butter, softened
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff

Whip all together with an electric mixer and serve at room temperature (can be refrigerated and softened). (I halved this butter recipe and still had leftovers.)

0 comments: