Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Random thoughts

Our couch drama may soon be over. Thomasville called and has scheduled delivery for tomorrow. We'll celebrate when it actually arrives.

Paul insists on walking OVER Averi instead of around her, resulting in tears nearly every time. Why is this?

Weightlifting is hard. Aaron spent forever trying to teach me how to do the clean and jerk yesterday, and I don't think I improved much at all. So for those who think lifting is for mindless bozos on steroids, think again.

"Magic Monkey Bananas" (what they call chocolate-covered bananas in this book) are a great way to use up your bananas and have kids eat fruit for a snack. It also occupies time when they're bored.

Why are they selling winter coats in Albuquerque in the middle of July? Can someone explain why this makes sense? And why are all the summer things gone? I feel like they're cheating me of half my summer.

Why does every book that the critics rave about have sex in it? It's ridiculous. I just had to stop reading Water for Elephants since there were at least three instances less than a hundred pages into it. Don't these authors have mothers who read their books?

On that same line, any good book recommendations? I need some from people I can trust.

I love it when people who know nothing about politics or economics take extremely firm stances on issues. Do they not realize how complex problems are? I've found that the more I know about something, the less sure I am of my opinion.

I think I'd be a libertarian if there weren't so many nut jobs in that party. (Bringing back the gold standard? Please!) But then again, the Republican party seems to grow crazier every year, so it might not be such a big change.

I think we're becoming flexitarians, but not so much because of the health or environmental impacts of meat. Mostly it's because I can never seem to remember to get the meat thawed in time for dinner. I think we'll have falafel tonight. Thanks for the idea, Cindy!

My headphones for my MP3 player broke. It might have something to do with Averi ripping them out of my ears every time she sees them. Maybe.

Playing hide and seek with a two- and three-year-old is hilarious. Even when you hide in an extremely obvious spot, it takes them forever to find you. And when they hide, if you take more than 15 seconds finding them, they start shouting, "Mom! I'm behind the chair!" As if you didn't already know.

Is there ever a convenient time for your car's check engine light to come on?

4 comments:

Stef said...

You are so funny! Thanks for the laugh. Here is a good book that I am reading now. "The Ladies Auxiliary" Great book about a not so Orthodox Jew moves into a Orthodox Jewish community and changes their way of thinking. Good book! Hope your couches get there and you can take a long nap on them!

Cindy said...

I totally know what you're talking about with the books. Get this: I recommended "Water for Elephants" to my church book group before I actually read it - I was so embarrassed!! That one and "The Time Travelers Wife" were two that I finished, but probably should have put down half way through...needless to say, I'm being a lot more careful now!

So, to my question: are you on Goodreads? I have a ton of books on there that I've really enjoyed. One series that you would totally LOVE (if you like old timey detective novels?) is the Maisie Dobbs series. Totally clean and wonderful in more ways than one. I've thoroughly enjoyed them. Anyway, if you join Goodreads, look me up! Enjoy the Falafel...yum :)

Laura said...

What a fun post!

Dad said...

Chelz -- You make me smile. I'm so glad to see that you are blogging again. It is one way that I get to feel your pulse while we are over here in India. I go to you blog about every other day in hopes that you've left some little morsel of love for me to digest. I love you and the kids so much. Looking forward to our next visit. -- Dad